Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pshh I always show my best side....(except that this is late)...

Sometimes the best way to explain things is with reverse psychology. It makes the person, or in this case reader, further question your thoughts or ideas and, if they understand you, understand better. In the poem Not My Best Side by U. A. Fanthorpe, three characters that everybody in the world knows fully are portrayed in deep contrast.

Character one is a dragon. Dragons usually are mean, evil and greedy. However, the dragon in this poem is girly, dissapointed and truely unsatisfied. He is worried about what his picture looks like more than getting killed. He is dissapointed in his "conqueror" and his "unatractive" maiden holding him "literally on a string". He just wants to be taken seriously.

Character number two is the maiden. Typically, the maiden has this dream of being rescued by her prince charming and living happily ever after in love. This maiden is a little off. She is strongly attracted to the dragon for some reason, and seems to not want to go with the knight at her rescue. She aslo is unsatisfied. But, since she is a woman, she figures she better go with the knight and have her material wishes.

The last character is the knight. This knight, I feel, does follow tradition. He comes to the dragon and says, (in my own words =D) "Okay dragon, I have the armour, I have the skill, this is my job. We all know I'm better than you at everything, so let's just make this simple. I kill you, I get the girl, and I go off to kill more of you. But I'm wasting time talking, let's do this." Really, this is what a knight should do. I guess most knights are in it for the girl. This knight seems to be just a work-aholic and all about getting his job done so he can go home and...do knight things...

All and all this poem, when related to the world today, it shows that we are falling away from tradition and it's all just one big joke, and all of us should feel unsatisfied with that. We need to remember our forefathers and think more like them and about the greater good of mankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment